Tuesday 21 June 2011

The Flying Scotsman has been grounded

Friday was going to be an easy bike-run, but once again work and life got in the way. Between work and babysitting, I squeezed in a nice easy 45 minute run.  Just enough to get the legs turning over prior to Saturday's Chinook Half. Home by12:30am, prepped for the first triathlon of the season (last week's Du was so much easier to pack for) and in bed by 2:30am. Oh gawd, why is my alarm ringing at 5:30am?  What have I done?

No spare 30 minutes to cook steel cut oats, so it was instant oatmeal, blackberries, and honey, a slice of PB toast, half a banana,half an apple and plenty of water. 2 hours 10 minutes to digest. I don't know how my wife continues to do it, but she dragged her ass out of bed too and we were out the door before 7am.  10 steps from the car and "Morning Grant"; "Morning Rose"...it always relaxes me when I see familiar faces and realize how immersed in the triathlon world I've become over the last 5 years. Heading into transition I picked an empty spot...next to my fellow Talismaner Marc. It was a prime spot as we're always about he same time in the water so it would be a good gauge.

I entered the swim near the back and took the obligatory few strokes to catch my breath. My stroke didn't feel as smooth as I hoped, but I did complete lap one in record pace...for me. I should have taken a couple of deep breaths before heading back in for the second lap, but I just rushed in and ended up having to tread water for a couple of seconds to try catch my breath after inhaling a big wave. I think that kinda threw off my flow mentally as I never really got back into a rhythm. Result: almost 4 minutes slower on lap 2. I was so happy to get out the water.

I met Marc in transition and we had a quick chat before he headed said see you out there.  I never saw him the rest of the day. I was happy to jump on the bike and shouted to Dezz now the fun begins.  10 minutes later I was hopping the guardrail and standing in the mud changing a flat with limited dexterity in my fingers. I suspect that was what really derailed the rest of my day...at least mentally. I tried to push hard on the bike, but the strong headwind on the way out had other plans for me. I rode for what seemed hours before I hit the turnaround at 48km. I'm usually good to hold aero for at least 80% of my race, but tummy cramps (repercussions of swallowing too much lake water perhaps?) kept me from doing that yesterday. Fortunately a tailwind and a lot more downhill helped me back. I had a huge negative split, but coming into transition I realized I'd have to have the the run of my life to achieve my goal of 5:30.
It wasn't to be. I started the race at slightly slower than my 21km pace with a major stitch in my side through the first 8km. There was a short uphill section around the 9km mark which seemed to zap my energy. By the time I finished the first lap and set out for lap 2, I knew my time was going to be way off. My stomach, leg and feet (hotspots) all tried to tell me it didn't matter anymore so I could just walk. But one of my only victories on the day was running the whole 21.1km, regardless of how slow it was at some points.

A disappointing day to say the least, but definitely some lessons learned. I still have a couple months before my "A" race  to incorporate these lesson:
- more yoga
- relax in open water, allowing me to focus on stroke and breathing techniques
- ramp up miles on the bike
- more hill repeats on the run
- and continue to search for a solution(s) to these buggered GI issues.

Congrats to Grant & Kyle on a great 1-2 finish. And everyone else who put there heart into the Oly and Half.













No comments:

Post a Comment