Wednesday 13 July 2011

Still lots of time, right? Right?

So I was booking a meeting for work today was looking a couple of weeks ahead at July 21...wait, what?  July 21 is NEXT week?  Oh sh*t.

And so it goes. It feels like this year was PVR'd and someone is fast forwarding the commercials. Now I know how my Tour de France recordings feel every day. In terms of training, I don't feel anywhere close to where I want to be come August 27.  However, I am prepared for some intense training over the next month and Dezz is headed out of town to work for 3 weeks, so my training schedule is set and life will consist of work-train-sleep-eat-TdF. Bring it.

I had a great run on Sunday, July 3. And then the flu hit.  The sun was shining everyday and temperatures hit 25C, tempting me out to play.  My only saving grace was the aforementioned PVR'd Tour de France...and the fact that I didn't have the energy to even walk to the fridge. Knowing that pushing myself back too early would do more harm than good, I managed to keep my butt planted firmly on the couch. Then on Saturday, I had plans to ride Banff to Lake Louise via Bow Valley Parkway with my dad while Dezz and my mum drove support. We took the ride fairly easy, but it felt good to be out on the road again and hit the hills. We had a nice dinner, stayed over in Lake Louise, and then headed up to the lake for a wander around. Then it was time to head home. Dezz is still recovering from a ruptured tendon on her right hand, and since she was joining us for the return leg, we opted for less hills along Highway 1. We got in about 35km and then met my mum and jumped in the car. It definitely wasn't a hard ride, but great to spin the lingering flu out my legs. Yesterday, I was out running again.  Not wanting to push the knees too hard, I planned a 30 minute run to test things out. But everything felt so good I pushed it to an hour with a few short intervals. 

This weekend I plan to race Coral Springs Triathlon (in Chestermere...don't ask) just to get some intensity, especially for the swim. And July 24, a few of us will be doing Sylvan as relay teams. I'm looking forward to winning with Annabelle and Erin! But most of all, it'll be great for J-Force to get back out on the course together again.

Now if I can just find a way to play life at regular speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment