Thursday 19 July 2012

J-Force - 5 years on

It's hard to believe it was 6 years ago we got that phone call from Annabelle telling us Jay had been killed in a cycling accident. And almost a year to the day, July 21, 2007, Team J-Force had an epic day at the Sylvan Lake Half Ironman. Not epic in our results (with the exception of Kyle Marcotte who won the race), but epic in the sense that we all finished the race. A year prior, many of us had no inkling we'd ever own a road bike or be able to swim more than one pool length, never mind complete what would have been an insurmountable challenge save the fact that we promised our close friend we'd be there for her.

Sprint ahead 5 years, and we are gearing up for another Sylvan adventure. Over those 5 years, life has happened and J-Force doesn't race together as much as we used to - babies, injuries, the need for a new bike.  But more importantly, the friendships that grew out of that first race are still very strong. If there is one "A" race for the team though, this is it. Be it the half, the (newly created) Olympic distance, or a team event, the emotion and excitement still exist for this race year after year. I'm happily reminded where it all started every time I look down at the wheels of the Flying Scotsman.




As mentioned, they've added a new distance this year, I suspect to try increase participation after a small field last year. The new "Olympic" distance consists of a 1km swim, 60km bike and 10km run. Shorter swim and longer bike? Sign me up! After a satisfying result at GWN earlier this month, I've been feeling confident going into this weekend. And then I got hit by a cold. Doing a self-inflicted time trial with a cold (even if it was to test out an aero helmet) is ill-advised. A fever and headache ensued. So a couple of days of rest and skipping 2 nights of tri club (no small task I may add), I'm feeling like I'm on the mend. Not an ideal way to go into a race, but I'm hoping my fitness up to this point will carry me through. And if not, the adrenaline will be amped to max trying to chase down my J-Force and Talisman team mates on the run. Besides, I doubt a little cold would slow Jay down.

Let's do this J-Force!


No comments:

Post a Comment