Sunday 7 August 2011

Perfect timing

At this time exactly 3 weeks from now, I should be sitting at the finishing chute cheering the other Ironman competitors across the line. As much as I love racing, I am also really looking forward to crossing that finish line and having some time to relax and reflect on the past year.

This weekend was my last long training weekend before my taper.  But I have reminded myself a few times today that it's not time to take my foot off the gas just yet. Tomorrow and Tuesday will involve yoga and some interval work. And I'm really looking forward to Coach Grant pushing us to the limits on Wednesday and Thursday for our last week of tri club before a short "summer" break. Dezz and I are off to Vancouver next weekend (Sade and John Legend baby!), so I won't have any trouble mentally keeping the momentum up for a few more day before enjoying a couple days R&R (ok, the Stanley Park seawall may call me for a short run...or it may just call for a nice leisurely walk with my wifey). 

So am I actually ready to start this taper on Friday?  I felt good after last week's epic training weekend but I would have hesitated to say yes I am ready. But after yesterday's 33km run and today's 148km ride, I can say with confidence...Bring it!  Yesterday's solo run in the heat of the day felt very good. I slowed a bit over the last 5km as my knee started to bother me, but nothing a little ice and rest didn't cure when I got home. I am facing a dilemma of what running shoes to race in, but that'll sort itself out over the next couple of weeks. Today's ride with my partner in crime, Ricky, featured a lot of rollers and I still felt strong spinning up the hills on our return leg of Road to Nepal. I'm most definitely not feeling overtrained, nor am I feeling undertrained. If you told me back in January I could hit August 7 feeling this way, I would have taken it. So here I am, feeling pleasantly confident but far from overconfident.
The perfect place to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment