Saturday 27 August 2011

T-12 hours

I wrote a blog entry back on July 3 saying I can't believe how quickly the past 10 months have flown by.  And now I'm wondering where those last 56 days have gone.  In 12 hours time I will be standing on the shoreline of Lake Okanagan watching the pros getting smaller and listening to Oh Canada!  And quite frankly I. Can't. Wait. 

Dezz and I left Calgary with our friend Shannon on Wednesday afternoon. After a chill drive out here with a stop in Sicamous at D'Dutchman for ice cream (well Dezz and Shannon had ice cream...I just watched), we met up with Ricky at the house. What a place! Gorgeous views, great layout, and uber-friendly owners.  About 11pm I headed out the door for a very short jog just to get the legs firing after the long drive.

On Thursday we headed down for a hot yoga session. Or should I say warm yoga.  Then it was down to the expo for race registration. This is when it really set in that the race was fast approaching. It's like a well oiled machine, with some amazing volunteers pointing us through the guantlet of tables (most of those volunteers appeared to be in their 70's...so great to see the way the locals embrace this race). Later in the afternoon Rick and I hit the the road for a 90 minute bike and a 30 minute run. The legs felt very good, but I was a bit worried when Rick appeared to roll his ankle. Turns out his 5 meter leap was actually to avoid a dead snake laying in the dirt. I can't believe how many athletes were riding Skaha Lake Road out to OK Falls. But with 3200 athletes competing on tomorrow, I guess there's only so many roads around here. The heat out here is crazy. It's been over 30C all week, and no sign of the weather cooling down for race day.

Umm, I just took a slight break to eat and now I've gotta get my butt to sleep...up at 3:45am to eat. Last night, which is the most important night, I managed a 9 hour sleep. Everything is ready go tomorrow. Bike and gear bags are in transition, special needs bags are packed, and my morning clothes and food are all set out.  I'll update you all tomorrow or...more realistically...Monday. 

Thank you for the texts/facebooks/tweets over the last three days. It's an honour to have so much support out there. And it was great to chat with my coach tonight too. And of course, my boo and my Penticton housemates. Cheers and goodnight.




No comments:

Post a Comment