Thursday 8 May 2014

Glutton for punishment? Nah, glutton for fun.

Anyone that's done an early morning swim session with me knows it takes me awhile to get going. The same thing seems to be true of my race season. I started this year with the Napa Valley Half on April 12, and I don't think my body really started going until the last 5 minutes...of the run.  The swim felt decent until Dezz told me how long I took. The legs snapped and crackled over the bike course, but they lacked pop. And the run - and I use the term "run" loosely - was the wrong side of two hours.  I could ramble off 4 or 5 excuses, but at the end of the day I didn't execute.  So the following day I turned my attention to the next goal. Ok that's a lie. The next day I turned my attention to eating and drinking my way through Napa Valley. And then the next day after that. (Thanks Dezz, Shannon & Chris). But once I was back in Calgary I sat down with Coach Grant and figured out a game plan for the BMO Vancouver Half Marathon.



This would be our 2nd annual trip to the race in memory of SweYen. One year on didn't make it any easier. Standing just behind the elite runners at the start line, I got uncharacteristically choked up as I chatted with SweYen. And then it was go time. Coach told me to go hard the first half and not rely on a negative split to reach my sub-1:30 goal. So that's exactly what I did.  I let the legs open up on the downhills and before I know it I was coasting down Cambie on 3:50/km. And then they just kept going.  Most athletes - runners, footballers, skiers, dancers - have experienced a day where they feel like they are floating.  That's how this race felt for me.  I skipped the aid stations (aided by the cool rainy day instead) and the stomach only threatened to slow me down at the 19km mark.  Knowing I would easily beat my goal, the mind told the legs job well done, you're starting to fatigue, let's cool it down now. But the heart was having none of that.  Life is too short to not give it your all. And as I crossed the line more than 10 minutes faster than I'd ever run that distance before (1:25:59) I felt a wave of emotion for the second time that day.  Part of it was the redemption after a disappointing Napa race. And the other part?

The other part was for SweYen. Not sadness, but rather happiness in her ability to continue to inspire. Dezz did her second running race ever (well, at least since elementary school), another sub-1 hour effort with Nat at her side. Carissa did her first ever half, with Shannon and Mindy (who'd just finished her first ever half one week before) pacing her home. Chris shaved 20 minutes off last year's time. And  the rest of the crew did the 8k...smiling. (After meeting SweYen's dad, I can definitely see where she got her gentle soul). I already can't wait for next year.


So what next? With a renewed confidence and a reminder that at the end of the day it's only a race, let the training begin (continue?) for Challenge Penticton relay.



1 comment:

  1. Well done sir, well done. Has been quite the month!!

    (and it was 25 minutes;) - today is the first day I can walk normal! Already looking forward to the next new goal...probably a sprint in July wishy Shan in peachland.

    And congrats again on that time, so fast!!!

    ReplyDelete