Thursday 28 August 2014

I thought this was gonna be "just" a marathon


11 years ago I ran my first marathon. I was in my mid-20s.  The race was mostly downhill and flat. At sea level. I ran over 4h30. I'm pretty sure both my knees almost fell off. I said I'd never do another (standalone) marathon again.

I love Penticton. I especially love Penticton at the end of August. Dezz and I had traveled to Penticton 7 years in a row during Ironman Canada - twice to race and the other times to enjoy the vibe and the wine. So when I heard that Challenge Penticton was offering the opportunity for a full iron-distance relay in 2014, I instantly texted Rick. He was the obvious choice for team cyclist, so I quickly planned to take on the run. All we needed was a swimmer. And if we were gonna do it, we may as well do it right. Cue Kilah. Looks like I was wrong about that standalone marathon.

Jump ahead 10 months and we were on our way to Penticton once again. Coach Grant had me on a program ready to run a 3:10 marathon (post-Brazil, we decided a 3hr race was a big ask). Confident Kilah could swim a sub-1 hour swim, Rick and I were ready to lay it down for a podium spot. Despite being a couple hundred metres long, Kilah was handing off to Rick in 57 mins; second fastest female out the water. A small transition error and some unnecessary duct tape later (really, officials?), Rick was out on the road. And I was heading back to the house for some breakfast and some rest. With regular updates from Dezz and Twyla, I was back in transition an hour early, finding some shade before warming up. Rick was back into transition a bit slower than he'd hoped, but he had a solid ride sending me onto the run as the 2nd overall team (1st mixed team).

If you've read any of my race reports before, you'll know one of my biggest enemies on race day is my stomach. I've spent the last 13 months trying to find an answer and hoped my strict diet the past week would be enough. And it was...for 10km.

The race plan was to let myself start fast for the first 1km, then settle into a 4:25 on the first half of the run and try hang onto a 4:30ish on the way back for a sub 3:10. The plan was on point until 8km in, when I first started to get a bit of stomach cramping. (BTW, I loved being that close to the front of the race, with eventual winner Jeff Symonds only being about 6km ahead of me at one point thanks to Kilah and Rick. I pushed on but by the time I saw Dezz and Twyla at the halfway point I'd fallen well off my pace. And then the fun began.Walking a hill, I saw Sheila, my Talisman teammate and, on this day, my biggest rival as the runner for another TC team, running the opposite way while yelling Hey no walking! Start running cuz I'm coming after you". Following that little push, I walked a few aid stations but tried to keep the legs moving in a run/shuffle. Nausea started to set in but I just focused on holding that podium position. Apparently on the last 2km Jordan Bryden, one of the biggest triathletes I know and a very hard dude to miss, passed me to move into 1st place for the mixed relay. I have no recollection of that pass. I kinda remember the finishing shoot, thinking I can't hold onto Rick and Kilah's pace as we crossed the line together. I heard Steve Kings voice. And then I sat down.

About half an hour later, after a visit to the med tent and throwing up all the liquid I'd just taken in (6 times for those who are counting...one less than coach Elmar), I started to feel a bit better. Emphasis on BIT.

Running a 3:50 instead of a 3:10 was a disappointment. Especially when we lost first place by only a minute. But knowing I honestly left it all out there for the team helps a bit. Big congrats to Darren, Felix and Sheila for making us run scared and keeping it close with a 4th place finish (Yes I got chicked by Sheila...big time).

As for Challenge Penticton itself, it left a lot to be desired. I was a bit put off by the disorganization from day one all the way through the race weekend. But with new race directors and a (hopefully) new business model for next year's race, I definitely hope to see this race become a premier event again. Just like in the IMC days. After all, the venue still rocks.

Now just please don't tell my body I'm supposed to be slowing down and my knees are supposed to be getting worse as I age.



No comments:

Post a Comment